Tuesday, April 10, 2012

OFCCP Director Shiu Speaks at Disability Association Meeting

OFCCP News Article:

AMERICAN ASSOCIATION OF PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES 2012 LEADERSHIP AWARDS GALA

REMARKS BY PATRICIA A. SHIU, DIRECTOR

Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs - U.S. Department Of Labor
International Trade Center - 1300 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW - Washington, DC
Wednesday, March 21, 2012 7:15 PM [EDT]


Thank you Mark and thanks to all the leadership and staff of AAPD.

It's a great honor for me to speak with you this evening.

Here's what I know:

I know that disabled doesn't mean unable.

I know that there are qualified workers with disabilities all over this country who simply want a fair shot to find, compete for, secure and succeed in good jobs.

I know that too many of these workers are unemployed, underemployed and discouraged from seeking meaningful work. It's an issue we confront at the Department of Labor every day.

I know that we've "admired" the problem for too long. We've analyzed it and fretted over it enough.

I know that it is a persistent, intractable and insidious problem. But it is also an eminently solvable one.

In the 2 ½ years since President Obama appointed me to this job, I've come to know that this town can be – let's be honest – a little dysfunctional. But I know that where there is political will and civil discourse, we can close the disability employment gap.

Full Story: http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/addresses/Director_address_AAPD_Mar212012.htm

No comments: