Monday, October 31, 2011

Affirm affirmative action

Columbia Spectator
By Jessica Geiger
Published October 26, 2011
As the Supreme Court reconsiders the issue of diversity, Columbia should look to preserve it.

To quote Columbia’s student affairs website, “diversity is one of the things that make Columbia vibrant, dynamic and exciting.” I think most Columbia students would agree with this statement, and I know I certainly do. The experiences I’ve had with people of different ethnicities, cultures, and socioeconomic backgrounds at Columbia have been some of the most valuable experiences I’ve had during college.
From hearing a Contemporary Civilizations classmate relate his experiences in the South Korean army to Plato’s “Republic,” to listening to my suitemate tell story after story about her experiences in one of Minnesota’s lower-income high schools, I can safely say my experiences inside and outside of the classroom have been enriched, varied, and altered thanks to the extensive diversity of Columbia’s student body.

Full Story: http://www.columbiaspectator.com/2011/10/26/affirm-affirmative-action

No comments: