Monday, November 15, 2010

Perspectives: True Picture of Oppression Left Out of Social Studies Classes

Diverse Issues in Higher Education
by Dalyn Montgomery , November 15, 2010

I went to a great public school, had a top notch teacher and lived in a great community. I paid attention and my teachers encouraged me to think critically. If best-case scenarios could be created in a test tube, they would look much like my real one did.
I loved social studies.
We learned all the dates and names. We even learned about things like context and perspective. I left high school knowing who Nat Turner, W.E.B. Du Bois and Langston Hughes were. I recall experiencing a version of the famed blue-eyed-brown-eyed segregation exercise in elementary school.

Full Story: http://diverseeducation.com/article/14391/

No comments: